The Application Process

The Application Details Form

Councils and other private building certifiers require you to complete a number of statutory forms that can be quite daunting in their complexity. As part of our simplistic and innovative approach to obtaining a building approval we have developed a single form that you complete and submit to us which provides all of the information to be used in completing every statutory/non statutory form/document from application to issuing of the final certificate. In other words, we do the work for you that others don’t.


Attached to the Applicants Details Form is a guide on where to get the information to complete it. You can download a form from our Forms page and obtain the classification of your building work by selecting BCA Classes of Building on our Links page or simply contact one of our offices and we will email one to you. If you cannot classify your building work it will be identified as A Special Structure. Please note, you can save the form to your computer, type into it and email it back to us.


The Engagement Agreement and Fees

On receipt of the signed Applicants Details form, Burnett Country Certifiers will prepare and forward to you an Engagement Agreement (a written agreement required by law) and an invoice for the relevant fees. The Engagement Agreement details the parties to the agreement, the type of building work to be approved, the site at which the work is to be carried out, what is included in the fee and the total cost for the services being provided. At the same time we will enter all the information contained in the Applicants Details form into a database that will produce all the documentation required for the approval and subsequent inspections.


The Supporting Material

This is the documentation we will require you to provide in support of the approval of your project and that Burnett Country Certifiers will assess against the relevant Assessment Provisions contained in the Building Act 1975. This material usually only includes some but may include all of the following -

  • A site plan locating the project on the site (provides distances from boundaries and other buildings on the site).
  • Architectural drawings that include floor plans and elevations.
  • A copy of the soil test.
  • Structural drawings that show how the building or structure is to be constructed.
  • Form 15 Design Certificate/s from any engineers involved in the design of the project (all engineers must be registered in Queensland - RPEQ). These engineers may be structural, civil, electrical or hydraulic etc depending upon the type of project.
  • Verification of Energy Efficiency requirements under the BCA.
  • Plumbing and Drainage approval from the local authority.
  • Additional local authority approvals and/or referral agency approvals.
  • Evidence of Queensland Home Warranty Insurance in place.
  • Copy of owner builders permit if applicable.
  • Evidence of payment of Portable Long Service Levy (Q Leave).
  • If your site is not sewered, we will require a copy of the local authority approval for plumbing and drainage.
  • Evidence from the local authority where an existing house is to be relocated to that the bond has been paid.
  • Evidence of suitability for deemed to satisfy solutions or "alternative solutions" under the BCA *
  • Reports from Fire Safety Engineers providing expert opinion in relation to building solutions *
  • Approval from Queensland Fire and Rescue Service for Special Fire Services *
  • Any other documentation or information requested by us
  • * Consult Burnett Country Certifiers in relation to these matters.


    What is Queensland Home Warranty Insurance?

    Building contractors, when carrying out residential work for a consumer and that is in excess of $3300.01 are required to obtain Insurance from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. For more information go to our Links page and select QBCC - Home Warranty Scheme. Additional information is provided to consumers that have entered into a contract with a licensed contractor to construct residential work by going to our Links page and choosing QBCC - Home Warranty Protection.


    Who Pays Portable Long Service Levy and How?

    Payment of the Levy is required on all building work over $150,000 unless you are an owner builder. Forms are obtainable and payment can be made at your local post office. Though the levy is not payable by owner builders, they are still required to complete and submit the relevant form. A copy of the completed form after processing is to be provided to Burnett Country Certifiers as the assessing authority. For further information go to our Links page and select the shortcut for the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Levy Payments) Act 1991 or the shortcut for the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Levy Payments) Regulation 2004.


    Information Request

    If when you submit the Supporting Material to us, if any of the required information is not provided we will issue you with what is generally referred to as an Information Request. This document simply requests that you provide any further information that you may not have provided so that we can carry out the assessment. You have 6 months to provide the information or the application will lapse.


    The Building Approval

    Once we are in possession of all the necessary material an assessment of the application is carried out against the provisions of Clause 30 of the Building Act 1975 that can be found on the Links page. The building approval will come in the form of a Decision Notice. Please read carefully the conditions of the approval and ensure that a copy of the approved plans remains on site at all times. Severe penalties can be applied by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission for not complying with this requirement.


    Contact one of our offices or visit the links page for more information...